Clogged drains can come up at random times, and their occurrence may seem unavoidable. But if you practice a few simple tips, you can have cleaner drains that are a lot less likely to get blocked up.
Setting Aside FOG
FOG is fats, oils, and grease, things that solidify as they cool off. They then line the drains, building up until they block up the pipes completely. So, when you’re cooking bacon or using lots of cooking oil, don’t out it down the sink. Have a trash container set aside, and throw it out.
Using The Garbage Disposal
If you don’t have a garbage disposal, it’s time for an upgrade. And if you have a garbage disposal, use it! Run cold water as you do, and make sure you only use it for food scraps that you could (potentially) chew with your teeth.
- That means you should avoid food wrappers or anything that’s not a food.
- Popcorn kernels are a no-go, and it doesn’t have to be said that meat bones are a problem as well.
- Onion skins are stringy and could get wrapped around the disposal, and so could stringy foods like celery. Cutting up something like celery into smaller bits may help, and you should only put small amounts of food in the disposal at a time.
Scheduling Routine Cleaning
Routine drain cleaning can help to keep everything moving smoothly down the drains.
- When hydro jetting is involved, plumbers put a thin, high-pressure hose into the drain pipe, which blasts water out to remove stuck-on sludge in the inside of the pipes.
- They can even inspect the drains with a video camera to make sure everything is out.
Your drains are cleaner and less likely to clog up if you have this service done annually.
Call Ace Pelizon Plumbing today for hydro jetting services in Covina, CA. World class service is just around the corner!