If you have a garbage disposal, chances are high that you use it pretty liberally. However, if you use it too often for the wrong items, you might end up with a major drain clog. And that’s simply not worth it.
Here are a few reasons your drains may keep on clogging up, even though you think you are using your garbage disposal properly.
You Put The Wrong Foods Into The disposal
Hopefully, you’re not putting food wrappers and meat bones in the disposal.
- Seeds, popcorn kernels, and other small hard food scraps may slide down into the drains with ease, but once inside they can start to clog them up.
- But also, you should avoid pasta and rice, which expand in the pipes.
- And fibrous foods like celery and asparagus could potentially wrap around the impeller and stop the garbage disposal motor.
You Put Too Much In The Disposal At Once
Okay, so you feel pretty confident that you are only putting disposal-approved foods down the drains. But could you be putting too much in at once?
- Mounds of mashed potatoes and peas will stop up the disposal, so go for spoonfuls at a time.
- Wait for the disposal to clear, and then add more.
You Dump Fats, Grease, and Oil In The Drains
Cooking grease can actually solidify as it moves through the drain. It’s a common reason for a drain clog or major sewer line clogs that can be a hassle to fix. Dump these in the trash instead.
You Are Using Chemical Drain Cleaners
Chemical drain cleaners are toxic, first of all. Secondly, they’re bad for your pipes, and they probably only move the clog further down the drain so it clogs again later on. Use professional hydro jetting and your drains are clean and clear for longer.
Call Ace Pelizon Plumbing for drain and sewer services in San Dimas, CA. World class service is just around the corner!